Friday, October 4, 2024

Some days are certainly filled with the unexpected!

 

I woke up early (7:30) and ran upstairs to the open deck to catch the launching of the weekly weather balloon. Because one of the Ship’s research partners is NOAA ,both expedition ships in the Viking fleet are continually doing research. I managed to just make perfect timing for this morning’s launch. Leave it to Viking to provide an excellent experience… hot coffee with additives and musical entertainment to help this balloon have the best journey of its life! Anyway, after a rousing passenger chorus of “Sweet Caroline” the chief scientist and assistant s gave the countdown the balloon was sent on its way to record data for NOAA.  
 It was really fun to see it go up,up away!
After breakfast, it was time to gather our QV ( portable microphone: quiet box allowing the guide to speak normal volume and all us oldies can hear)and head to the A deck to catch our tender. Because of the coastline, this is another tender port that means getting into the tender boats and traveling to the shore. 
Inside  where the pilot controls the tender.
Arrival was at a beautiful riverside walk where we were greeted  by local tourism volunteers who wanted to make sure we enjoy the city that they are so proud of: Alpena, MI. Ive noticed on all of our travels the joy and pride small ports extend to us. The local tourism board is always so helpful and happy to share their towns with us. It reminds me that we should all have such joy and pride in our home communities.

As we started along the 2 mile river walk I moved my head to look at the river and felt a little light headed. When I turned back, i was hit with the most horrible vertigo in my life. I immediately felt like a drunken sailor must feel (certainly a 20 something college student after a night on the town) and mentioned to Al that I wasn’t feeling very steady.

My last photo of the day….as I tried to grabbed his arm, the dizziness became overwhelming and with the aid of one of those wonderful tourists helpers who drove a golf cart we returned to the docking site and I waited for the return to the ship…I wish I could say things got better while sitting, but no such luck..needless to say after what seemed like an eternity (and barfing in local garbage cans) and with lots of help from Albert,I got on the tender and headed back. so with my BB(barf bag) clutched to my side and Al dragging me along a straight line ( just remember that one time you were trying to get your roommate home after celebrating homecoming in the college bar) we got on ship and made it to the medical center.
I can happily say the ship’s doctor and nurse were the kindest healthcare professionals. After assessing me they gave me a very hurtful shot(,warned me ahead of time!) and gave me some meds to take for the next few days. I got a wheelchair ride to my room and a three hour nap! I have a newfound appreciation for those who have suffered Vertigo.

Along with a very competent nurse, Yolanda, Dr Moonsamy fixed me up fine and tonight i almost feel back to normal. No more drunken walking and finally my head seems to have stopped spinning. Tomorrow we are arriving in Detroit and I’ll try once again to walk on land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some days are certainly filled with the unexpected!

  I woke up early (7:30) and ran upstairs to the open deck to catch the launching of the weekly weather balloon. Because one of the Ship’s r...